Apply for an Autism Service Dog
(For children between the ages of 3 and 10 years)
Autism Service Dogs provide greater safety and independence for children with Autism who have the tendency to bolt by:
- sensory regulation
- help with sleep disturbance
- stress and anxiety reduction for children
- social facilitation with peers
- safety and independence
Dogs with Wings will consider the application of future Autism Service applicants if the following criteria are met:
- Applicants must have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder at the time of application.
- Applicants must be within the ages of 3 and 10 years old at time of application. Applicants will only be matched with an Autism Service Dog when they are 5+ years old, as the typical wait is 2 years and to match the maturity of the child.
- If an applicant ages out at an age of over 13 the applicant will not be able to receive an Autism Service Dog.
- Applicants must demonstrate a safety or flight risk that an Autism Service Dog could help mitigate.
- We prefer to place Autism Service Dogs in home environments in which the Autism Service Dog is the only canine living in the home. However, exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Families must be able to meet the emotional, physical, and financial needs of the Autism Service Dog and offer a stable home environment.
For more information on Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and the importance of accredited dogs:
For more information on other ADI certified service dog schools in Canada:
Canadian Association of Guide and Assistance Dog Schools