Apply for a Service Dog
** Please note, our Service Dog Program is unable to accept Letters of Intent until further notice.**
Service Dogs assist people with physical disabilities to enhance their quality of life and achieve greater independence by:
- helping to retrieve objects
- opening and closing doors
- seeking out help
- supporting our clients in moving from one point to another (ie. wheelchair to bed, etc.)
- assisting with balance and bracing
Dogs with Wings will consider the application of future Service Dog applicants if the following criteria are met:
- Applicants must have a physical disability and use a manual/power wheelchair for mobility or require the use of a cane/walker/etc. for balance.
- Applicants must be 15+ years old at time of application and 16+ years old at placement.
- Applicants must demonstrate an active enough lifestyle to qualify for a Service Dog (e.g., working, attending school, participating in activities outside of the home, etc.).
- Applicants must have the mental awareness to be the sole handler of a Service Dog, and be responsible for the dog in public places.
- We prefer to place Service Dogs in home environments in which the Service Dog is the only canine living in the home. However, exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants must be able to meet the emotional, physical, and financial needs of the Service Dog and offer a stable home environment.
For more information on Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and the importance of accredited dogs:
For more information on other ADI certified service dog schools in Canada:
Canadian Association of Guide and Assistance Dog Schools