Apply for a Service Dog
Due to the volume of applications we have received, as well as meeting the needs of our current clients, we are unable to accept applications for our programs at this time.
We invite you to continue checking our website for announcements regarding our applications re-opening to the public.
If you have any questions, please direct them to our Client Services Manager, Emily Hendsbee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Dogs assist people with physical disabilities to enhance their quality of life and achieve greater independence by:
- helping to retrieve objects
- opening and closing doors
- supporting our clients in moving from one point to another (ie. wheelchair to bed, etc.)
Dogs with Wings will consider the application of future Service Dog applicants if the following criteria are met:
- Applicants must have a physical disability and use a manual/power wheelchair for mobility.
- Applicants must be 15+ years old at time of application and 16+ years old at placement.
- Applicants must demonstrate an active enough lifestyle to qualify for a Service Dog (e.g., working, attending school, participating in activities outside of the home, etc.).
- Applicants must have the mental awareness to be the sole handler of a Service Dog, and be responsible for the dog in public places.
- We prefer to place Service Dogs in home environments in which the Service Dog is the only canine living in the home. However, exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants must be able to meet the emotional, physical, and financial needs of the Service Dog and offer a stable home environment.
For more information on Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and the importance of accredited dogs:
For more information on other ADI certified service dog schools in Canada:
Canadian Association of Guide and Assistance Dog Schools