About Our Organization
Our dogs are protected by the Service Dogs Act, RSA c. S-7.5 and the Blind Persons' Rights Act, RSA c. B-3, in the Province of Alberta.
Our goal is simple: to change lives for the better.
We are a leader in the international community of assistance dog training schools. Our mission is to foster integration and independence for individuals with disabilities by providing them with highly trained assistance dogs and aftercare.
Dogs with Wings History
- Dogs with Wings Assistance Dog Society was founded in 1996, as a registered charitable organization, providing Guide Dogs for the visually impaired.
- In 2003, we added the Service Dog Program.
- In 2007, we expanded to offer Autism Service Dogs for children.
- In 2009, we added the Facility Service Dog Program as well as the Companion Dog Program.
- Dogs with Wings celebrated a special milestone in 2016 with our 20th Anniversary.
- We are currently celebrating our 25th Anniversary in 2021.
Organization and Governance
- Dogs with Wings provides service to residents of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
- We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
- Accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI).
- The ADI is an international organization that set the standards and expectations for Assistance Dogs around the world.
- We are members of the Canadian Association of Guide & Assistance Dog Schools (CAGADS).